Question: How would I go about apply for Medicaid for my wife who has Alzheimer’s disease and is now in need of nursing home care?

Answer:  Each state has a specific agency that runs the Medicaid program. In Illinois, this agency is called the Department of Human Services. In your state it might have a different name. To apply for Medicaid, you need to contact this agency in the particular County that your wife is going to live in. Generally, the staff at the nursing home can point you in the right direction and they may even have the forms for you to fill out.


Ben A. Neiburger, JD, CPA
Neiburger Law, Ltd.
Elmhurst, Illinois  60126

Apply for Medicaid – How Do I Begin Applying for Benefits? was last modified: November 24th, 2022 by Phil Sanders