Question: My father is 88 and lives in an assisted living community, private pay. My mother resides in a town home, which is a debt free property, that she jointly owns with my father. How can my mother plan to protect this asset in the event my father requires nursing care? Given their assets, they cannot afford to pay privately for a nursing home care, so they will need my father to become Medicaid eligible for this service?

Answer: Your mother will be able to continue living there as long as she wants and does not have worry that she’ll have to sell it to pay the cost of your father’s nursing care.

It is very important that your parents meet with an elder law attorney in your state as soon as possible as there are other planning options for your parents to consider that could protect the value of the town home and other assets.


Dagmar M. Pollex, Attorney at Law
The Law Offices of Dagmar M. Pollex, P.C.
Braintree, Massachusetts  02184

How to Protect Your Home Even if You Need Nursing Care was last modified: November 22nd, 2022 by Phil Sanders