Question: “What are the steps necessary to obtain Guardianship / Conservatorship for my mother who is elderly and suffering from Alzheimer’s disease? She is a resident of the state of Illinois.”

Answer:  You will need to file a Petition for Guardianship and Conservatorship with the Probate Court in the county of residence for your mother in Illinois. I practice Probate Law in Georgia, and every state may handle the petition process a little differently. Please check with the website There you can enter the county of residence for your mother and proceed directly to that county’s Probate Court website for more specific information regarding the petition process. You will need to contact a Probate Law attorney in Illinois, who is familiar with the court of jurisdiction. If the process in Illinois is like the process in Georgia, then procedurally this is what you can anticipate: A lengthy Petition for Guardianship and Conservatorship must be completed, which will include among other things, your mother’s financial records, medical examination reports/physician affidavit, and contact information for all living relatives. The relatives are notified by copy of the petition, and they are given time to object by filing a caveat if they so choose. If a caveat is filed, a period of discovery is allowed by the court before setting a court date. Mediation may be mandated by the court or the parties may elect to resolve any differences thereby. If no resolution can be reached, a bench trial takes place, and the Probate judge decides the outcome. If there is no opposition to the petition, a less formal in chambers hearing is held by the Probate judge, and the Guardianship and Conservatorship is granted by the court to the petitioner. I hope this information proves helpful, and I wish you the best of luck!


Dennis Duncan, Attorney at Law
The Law Offices of Dennis L. Duncan, P.C.
Macon, Georgia  31210

Obtain Guardianship / Conservatorship for a Senior with Alzheimer was last modified: November 22nd, 2022 by Phil Sanders