Being a caregiver for another person can be a full-time job. It can also be very stressful which leads to burnout. How do you know when the stress is becoming too much and what can you do to prevent burnout?
Signs of caregiver stress:
• Feeling overwhelmed or anxious
• Drinking, smoking, or eating more
• Feeling sad or depressed
• Losing interest in activities you used to enjoy
• Trouble concentrating
• Becoming easily irritated or angry
• Overreacting to minor nuisances
• Gaining or losing weight
• New or worsening health problems
• Getting too much sleep or not enough
• Feeling tired often
• Feeling increasingly resentful
• Neglecting responsibilities
How to manage caregiver stress:
• Make a list and complete one task at a time
• Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet
• Get 7-9 hours of sleep a night
• Exercise at least 30 minutes a day 5 days a week
• Try Meditation
• Start Journaling
• Increase your social interactions; spend time with your friends
• Do or watch something that makes you laugh
• Try coloring in an adult coloring book
If you feel your stress is more than you can manage, seek out professional help. A psychologist or counselor is a good place to start. They can help you come up with a tailored plan to get your stress in check.
If you or someone in your family are facing stress from caregiving, please give us a call at 480-804-7200 or email us at Heather@DesertCareManagement.com to find out how we can help.
This article was provided by Heather Frenette. Owner of Desert Care Management – one of Arizona’s TOP Care Management Providers. Ms. Frenette and her company are Members of the National ElderCare Matters Alliance and have a Featured Listing on ElderCareMatters.com – America’s National Directory of Elder Care / Senior Care Resources to help families plan for and deal with their issues of Aging.
If you have additional questions about your family’s Elder Care / Senior Care Matters, you can count on ElderCareMatters.com (America’s National Directory of Elder Care / Senior Care Resources) to help you find America’s Top Elder Care / Senior Care Professionals. You can find Local Elder Care / Senior Care Experts by Searching our National Database by City and Service Category. (This Search feature is located on the homepage of ElderCareMatters.com).
The Elder Care / Senior Care Experts who are found on ElderCareMatters.com can provide you with the help you need in a wide range of Elder Care / Senior Care Services, including Elder Law, Estate Planning, Home Care, Assisted Living, Care Management, Daily Money Management, Senior Living, Investment Advisory Services, Tax & Accounting Services, Wills & Trusts, Probate plus many other Elder Care Services.
We look forward to helping you plan for and deal with your family’s Issues of Aging.